In high school, I was never fit enough to join any sports due to my size and my constant lack of breath. The only sport I ever did joined was cheerleading.
A couple of years back, the BLUE house team decided to put me in a 400m track event. They were desperate because they needed someone to represent their team or else they would be forfeited. I tried to persuade the captain and the teachers that i could not do it as i was only a short distance runner. A few minutes before the race started, i started to get butterflies in my stomach and my palms were starting to sweat. “Low Sher Ryn!” the teacher in-charged called, “it’s your turn. You’re up next!” My teammates around me wished me well and that it would be done in a matter of seconds. All i could do was just smile and prayed that this wasn’t happening. I would make a fool out of myself if I came last.
“BAM!” The trigger just got released. This was the cue for me to lift myself up and ran for my life. Like any other smart-alec, i sprinted for the first 100metres and ran as fast as my legs could bring me... It was a really stupid decision. My legs started to get tired, and my breathing became vigorous and I had to breathe through my mouth. The sun was just shining so brightly and i was just panting and running. Soon everyone else was over taking me and i became the last. My friends were cheering at me to finish the race but all i wanted to do was cry, and i did. Due to having a past record of having bronchitis, i was scared that it could come back and haunt me. I just could not risk it. My vision blacked out for a moment, but i could still feel my legs working and suddenly. I was a few metres closer to the finishing line and suddenly i felt a sharp jab. My ankle felt like it was burning each time i moved. The pain was horrendous and i was limping to the finishing line. I just needed to get this race over with! I told myself I was fine and ignored the pain while i limp back to the finishing line. One of the teachers at the side came up to me and pulled me into a bear hug. I could hear my friends telling me that I did a great job but all i wanted to do was to forget about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment