The story of Nadirah is about a single mother who converted to a Muslim who finds love and companionship with an old friend who happens to be of a different race. As their relationship develops, they decided to get married and broke the news to Nadirah, her daughter. She was a devoted Muslim who could not accept the fact that the man who her mother is marrying to isn't converting to a Muslim and they were going to have a civil marriage. At the end of the play, she begins to accept him as part of the family after seeing how happy her mother was again.
I was excited when i saw the name "Neo Swee Lin" in the list of the cast. I have been a fan of hers eversince I was young when they televised the Singapore comedy sitcom "Phua Chu Kang". During the play, she somehow channeled some of the "Ah Ma" character during some silly moments in the play. I was really excited to watch her perform. The story tugged at my heartstrings when Nadirah had an argument with her mother and also when she "manja-ed" with her. It reflected the relationship that I have with my mum. It was a really touchy scene that tears began to swell up in my eyes. Basically the story was about how much a single mother struggled to bring her daughter up alone by herself and facing racial issues when she was about to remarry. I enjoyed watching the play!

Thanks Mr Rey for reccomending it to us!
No comments:
Post a Comment